Thursday, November 1, 2007

NOVEMBER 1 AND MOM IS cancer FREE

I haven't been using this so much as a 'journal' of my day to day blah. Mostly because, um hello, my life is pretty boring. So, I didn't blog about my mom's relationship with colon cancer.

Read about her here: Mom's CaringBridge Site

Generally, events unfolded this way: Mom had a colonoscopy on August 31, 2007 and they removed some polyps that resided in 3 inches of her colon. After a biopsy revealed that there was cancer, they put her on the fast track to getting those 3 inches of cancer breeding ground removed. In meeting with the surgeon they also discussed doing a hysterectomy (to remove the other ‘breeding ground’ teehee) because at that time they were waiting for results from some abnormal cells found in her routine gynecological exam.

On Tuesday September 11, 2007, Mom had an exam to determine if a hysterectomy was the best course (by exam I mean painful, full body cavity search). The doctor discovered some concerns including HPV.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007, she had a complete hysterectomy and surgery to remove part of her colon and lymph nodes. She was in the hospital for about a week.

Pathology showed that there was only small amounts of cancer detected in the 'gunk' they removed. They felt that the cancer was removed along with the tumor and the only trace of the shit was in the spot where they lived in the colon (heehee...shit...colon...I am twelve).

She had an appointment this am with an oncologist and they did a cat scan and blood test as a precaution, but the Doc said he is certain the cancer was removed in surgery and there is NO NEED FOR CHEMO.

So, my mom HAD cancer. She is a survivor now. She is making Katie Curic proud due to her early detection. She is making me proud and thankful and man, I can breath a whole helluva lot easier now!

Bring on November, cuz October and September and freakin' cancer are HISTORY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cancer can go to hell!! MOM is CANCER FREE!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

I'm a bit excited, can you tell?

Anonymous said...

What you mean is bring on the rest of my life!!! Cancer is definately a historical blob somewhere in limbo. I am not there any more thank God and all good things I can say that. As Reba says "I'm a SURVIVOR".